Chloé’s Ramblings

Friday, January 8, 2010

I met the sweetest old lady

I work for our town, and I'm in charge of all the public and press relation. One part of my job is to write articles that we send to the newspapers, especially about the "great birthdays", as we call them... In proper english, when people celebrate a really old birthday. ;) Anyway, this part of my job is pretty cool, even though the old people I meet are basically all the same and don't have had extravagant lives. Except today: I met a cute little old lady who celebrated her 90th birthday at the end of December.

When she was 15 she moved to Paris and was there when the town was liberated during WWII. Then she went to New York as a nanny for a french family and met an American guy there. She married him, lived in New York for 35 years, then in Pittsburgh for 20 years after they retired. When he passed away, she came back in France to be closer to her family, brother, niece and nephews. She was just the cutest because she was talking really fast (and a lot! LOL), mixing french and english, with a great sense of humour, smart and sweet... I don't know how to express how I felt, but she was like sparkling, like a little firework, joyful and bright. I really loved meeting her!

0 comments: